Oct 5, 2012

About interruption...



I don’t know if you are in the same situation as me  but one thing is certain: In my work I do the best in morning and evening. Basically, the most effective hours are the after hours work.  

Daily, I arrive to office almost one hour before the start of the program and I stay 2-3 hours late. Certainly in the 3-4 work harder and better, that is more effective than during normal working hours.

How is that possible?

 Morning and evening, there are not so many colleagues around, and those also have their concerns. No phone rings every 10 minutes, no more meetings, no one needed anything urgent  from me. In other words, I  do only what I have to do.

Almost 4 years ago, tired of so many courses and reading articles about "Timing management". I decided to made a little experiment to understand impact of interruptions in my daily work. 

Experiment

I observed all interruptions during one month with 22 working day, that means 176 hours = 1760 minutes. During this month I count 682 interruptions (average 31 interruptions per day). Interruptions that amounted to 2260 minutes.Average time for return to work was 3 minutes. So, 3 minutes multiple with 682 interruptions means 2046 minutes spent time for nothing.

Data analysis

A calculation showed me that I spent with interruptions 4306 minutes  = 71.76 hours from my time.
If I distribute these hours the number of days .... 71.76/22 = 3.26 is exactly the hours we spend at work after working time.
With other terms I would say
 71.76/176 * 100 = 40.77% of the time I should spent at work (8 hours per day) is wasted time.

Conclusion

To have more time and not spend so much time in the office should better manage interruptions.
After that conclusion I decide to implement small rules and remade experiment.

- I have to not answer at every phone call
- When I answer the phone and somebody wants something from me I ask him to send his request via email
- When someone came to my office, I ask him to take place until I reach into working point which could easily resume.


Do you want to know what happened?
 I will tell you next week.




2 comments: