Oct 12, 2012

About interruption - part 2


Re-experiment

A new month a new start.  A month with 20 working days, 160 hours, 9600 minutes with new rules for me.
- I have not to answer at every phone call
- When I answer the phone and somebody wants something from me I ask him to send his request via email
- When someone came to my office, I ask him to take place until I reach into working point which could easily resume.

At the end of the month I counted: 506 interruptions totaling 961 minutes. This time I don't count the time to come back to work. So, I assume that is the same as the last month: 3 minutes. (I have the feeling was less than 3 minutes this month).



Data analysis

961 minutes / 506 interruptions  = 1.9 minutes is average time for each interruption.
A month before that was: 2260 minutes / 682 = 3.3 
So, those new rules had a major impact in my work:
- significantly decreased the number of interruptions
-  time spent at each interruption decreased with 42%

 Keeping the same logical as previous month I lose  506*1.9 minutes +506*3 minutes = 2479.4 minutes -> 41.32 hours. 
 Because this month have only 20 working days, we can calculate:

 41.32 / 160 * 100 = 15.50%  of time was wasted time.

I decreased my wasted time  from 40.77% to 15.50%.



Conclusion

I think you can themselves conclude. 

If this article convinced you to repeat experience, please keep me up to date with that and with your  results. 


P.S. Now, no longer overtime for me

1 comment: